D.L. Lang is a contemporary American poet and spoken word artist. The author of over a dozen poetry books, Lang has been writing poetry for over 25 years. She has performed her poetry on stage hundreds of times at protest rallies, county fairs, literary festivals, open mics, poetry circles, bookstores, libraries, and live radio broadcasts.
From 2017 to 2019 she served as Vallejo, California’s Poet Laureate. Her poems have been awarded with numerous county fair ribbons, transformed into songs, used as liturgy for prayer, and to advocate for peace, justice, and a better world.
The scribe of over 1,200 poems from haiku to free verse to masterful rhyme, covering a wide variety of topics, D.L. Lang has poetry that’s sure to delight. Lang dabbles in both gritty realism and surrealistic wordplay, sorrowful elegy and uplifting affirmations. Her poetry is a mixture of topical political commentary, religious devotional meditations, and poetic autobiographical memoir. Her words take you on journeys deep into nature, memory, spirituality, and the whisperings of the heart.
An internationally published poet, D.L. Lang’s poetry has been anthologized in dozens of titles worldwide. See the bibliography for details.
She is the author of Tea & Sprockets, Abundant Sparks & Personal Archeology, Look Ma! No Hands!, Poet Loiterer, Id Biscuits, Barefoot in the Sanctuary, Armor Against The Dawn, Dragonfly Tomorrows & Dog-eared Yesterdays, Resting on My Laurels, The Cafe of Dreams, Midnight Strike, and This Festival of Dreams.
She has also released a chapbook compilation entitled Wanderings, a nature poetry compilation entitled Earthen Rovings, a Jewish poetry compilation entitled Paradise Collectors, and her debut spoken word album entitled Happy Accidents. She was the editor of Voices, Verses & Visions of Vallejo, featuring 43 fellow writers.
Paperbacks are available at Alibi Bookstore in Vallejo, CA and Bookshop Benicia in Benicia, CA. Most bookstores can special order via ISBN, or you can support them through bookshop.org. Many of her books and ebooks are widely distributed to Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Nook, Smashwords, Apple iBooks, Overdrive, Book Depository, Better World Books, and many more. Her spoken word album Happy Accidents is available on Spotify, Amazon Music, YouTube, iTunes, Apple Music, and many more. See the bookstore for complete listings.
If you enjoy my poetry and would like to give a donation to ensure this site stays alive:
More information about D.L. Lang
- full bibliography
- list of newspaper mentions
- film and literature awards
- read a longer biography
- filmmaking history
- upcoming readings / list of past performances / book D.L. Lang for a poetry feature
- list of accomplishments as Vallejo’s poet laureate
- performance video archives / music and interview audio recordings
- read archives of past poetry blog posts
Select press and interviews:
- Raskin-Zrihen, Rachel, “Vallejo’s poet laureate joins social justice event,” October 24, 2019
- Freedman, Richard “Poet Laureate Enjoys First Year: Big Events in March, April” Vallejo Times-Herald, February 7, 2019
- Serrano, Nina, Literary Dialogues: “People’s Poet Laureate of Vallejo CA, D.L. Lang” October 20, 2018
- Powell, Francis, “Interview with D.L. Lang” June 13, 2020
- Splintered Disorder Press, “Interview with D.L. Lang” February 1, 2021